Sunday, October 03, 2010

Emergency Preparedness for your dogs

SUPER HOT --> THUNDER/LIGHTNING --> RAIN --> CLOUDY

So that was the weather for the past week. It's freaking me out a bit because... isn't that the pattern before some sort of natural disaster? Like an earthquake, perhaps? Maybe...

I've been sick & it gave me time to think (and sleep). Having Yuki in my life now makes me worried if something did occur. I don't know what I would do if Yuki were to run away... or something worse. It's something I hate to think about, but if I don't take care of it now, I'll regret it later.

Yuki happens to have a duffle bag right by the door with items we use often such as: toys, grooming brushes, a few treats, toothpaste, nail file and flea/bedding spray. I need to add a few more items...

If you feel the same way as I do, here are a few ways to help you & your pet... just in case.

PET FOOD: Always keep a weeks worth of extra food on hand for each of your pet. There may not be chances of running to the pet-store to get them food. They have expiration dates, so keep checking it. I know this by experience of the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Powers went out, everyone dashed to the market & everything was SOLD OUT! It was a learning experience.

EMERGENCY KIT: Collect the following items & keep them safely in a duffle bag:
- First aid guide & kit (you can get it from your vet), Medical history, Photo of you & your pet(s), PET TAGS, Pet medication, Poop bags, Leash, Collar/Harness, Capped/Collapsable bowl, Pet food, Can-opener, Gloves, Muzzle, Plastic bags, Grooming supplies, Toys, Splinting materials, blanket, disinfectants, Paper towels.

Please visit this link for more in-depth information: Earthquake Preparedness for Pets Handout

I just added her sweater, poopy bags, dog license, muzzle & extra leash, collar and harness that we have. Still need to get a few more things.

Good luck everyone... & if you have any suggestions on this, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yuki's mom! :-)

    I worry too. Especially since we all know Shibas will turn into little hunting animals who may or may not return if something happened. I've thought before I should keep a slip leash by the bed so I can leash Zuko up quickly (and in the dark) if something should happen and have a kit in the garage. Thanks for bringing it back to top of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zuko's Mom!

    You're welcome! If anything ever happened to the world, like "I Am Legend", I'd want Yuki around me for as long as possible! Minus the part when something happened to his dog...

    ReplyDelete

It's been awhile... Again

It seems to be a constant pattern with us and social media. We're here, then we will disappear for a bit. I guess I can't maintain ...